Ask a Question
Back to All

'Surprise Plan B' and 'lucky goal' were the keywords in the first half against Saudi Arabia.

South Korea ended the first half of their Qatar Asian Cup round of 16 match against Saudi Arabia in a 0-0 draw at the Education City Stadium in Al Rayyan, Qatar, at 1:00 a.m. ET on March 31. After conceding possession to their opponents and taking advantage of their efficiency, the Korean national team played better than they had in their three group games, but they failed to get the much-awaited lead as Son Heung-min's shot was saved by the goalkeeper. In fact, they were fortunate to go into halftime without conceding a goal as the opposition twice hit the post on set pieces.

After sticking to Plan A, national team coach Jürgen Klinsmann pulled out a surprise three-back. It was a 3-4-3. Son Heung-min (Tottenham) leads the attack with Jung Woo-young (Stuttgart) and Lee Kang-in (Paris Saint-Germain) in the center. Seol Young-woo (Ulsan), Hwang In-beom (Tsubena Zbezda), Lee Jae-sung (Mainz), and Kim Tae-hwan (Ulsan) are in the back, while Kim Young-kwon (Ulsan), Kim Min-jae (Bayern Munich), and Jung Seung-hyun (Ulsan) are in the defense. Cho Hyun-woo (Ulsan) will be in goal. The controversial striker Cho Kyu-sung started on the bench.

The Saudis, led by Roberto Mancini, lined up in a 3-5-2 formation. Salem Aldosari and Saleh Alshehri formed the back four, while Saud Abdulhamid, Nasser Aldosari, Abdullah Alkaibari, Mohammed Kano, and Mohammed Albright formed the midfield. Hassan Tambakti, Ali Rajami, and Ali Albulaihi formed the back three, with Ahmed Alkassar in goal.

After conceding the first shot of the game to Abdullah Al Kaibari in the 13th minute, South Korea seemed to have warmed up and began to push forward. 카지노사이트 The concept was to get behind the defense using the quick feet of top forward Son Heung-min. In the 20th minute, Hwang In-beom crossed the halfway line and sent a pass to Son Heung-min, who was sprinting into the opposition zone. The ball was directed slightly to the left side of the box, so there was no one-on-one situation with the goalkeeper.

In the 21st minute, Seol Young-woo's cross from the left was accurately delivered to Lee Kang-in on the other side, but just as Lee was about to chest-trap the high ball, an opponent rushed forward to block it.

The first shot on goal came in the 26th minute. Kim Tae-hwan's pass from the back was accurately delivered to Son Heung-min. After holding onto the ball with difficulty, Son Heung-min attempted a right-footed shot with his marker in front of him, but it went straight at the goalkeeper.

In the 28th minute, Lee Jae-sung lost the ball in the midfield and allowed a counterattack. Al Dosari's quick penetration broke down the back three and eventually led to Saleh Al Shehri's shot, but the Koreans breathed a sigh of relief when it was cleared off the line.

The big crisis came in the 42nd minute. Two consecutive headers from Saudi Arabia's Al Shehri and Ali Rajami hit the post from a corner kick, and a third header from Al Dosari went just wide of the post. It's safe to say that the goal saved Korea.

In the end, the first half ended in a 0-0 draw.